Are you working on creating a backyard space that is both inviting and safe? It is important to build an environment that your children can learn and grow in, while also understanding how to prevent accidents in the process. Whether your loved ones decide to play games, sun bathe, or walk the dog in the backyard, remember to keep it fun and safe.
A backyard should add to your home and not stress you out. By utilizing your resources, you can figure out what it takes to create a relaxing place filled with play. Here are some tips you can follow to get started on your personal outdoor space:
- Always put safety first, both inside and outside of your home.
- Make a list of what you think your family would like to see in the backyard. This can help you organize your ideas and see if you need areas for dining, playing, sitting, gardens, or pets.
- If you decide to build a patio area, walkway, or even a swimming pool, make sure to take the right steps to prevent slips, trips and falls on the hard services. Consider using non-skid, non-slip surfaces where children enjoy running and playing.
- Planting a garden can make the backyard colorful and warm. However, make sure you do not grow toxic plants that children could potentially get into.
- Avoid installing prickly objects such as cactus, sharp rocks, and wood chips.
- If you have a grill in the backyard, make sure there is a 10-foot clearing between it and the side of the house or trees.
- While enjoying the nice weather, children may want to play around barefoot. This is not always the safest option. Don’t allow flip-flops when climbing or swinging on the jungle gym. Also, have them wear tight fitting and not loose clothing that could get caught in something.
- Keep all of your yard tools and lawn materials in a shed with a lock so no one gets hurt.
At Insurance Partners Group, we hope these tips help you maintain a safe and fun backyard. Putting the well being of your family and others first while on your property should be a priority. Having home insurance from us may help you realize how necessary it is to protect yourself from potential risks. Our agents have a complete understanding of what may go wrong at home, which is why they can create a personalized plan to meet all of your lifestyle needs!