As a driver, do you know how to operate your car when you are around commercial vehicle? These large machines can take up a lot of the road, and some people are nervous being near them or passing them. However, it is important to understand how to share the road with them in order to avoid accidents and injuries.
Safety should always come first, whether you are next to a large truck or a small smart car. Here are some tips for local motorists when they are sharing the road with commercial truckers:
- Never cut directly in front of a truck, or you will cause a major collision.
- If you are alongside a truck, make sure to pass it quickly so you avoid being in the blind spots.
- Once you are past the truck, only switch lanes when you can see both headlights in your rearview mirror.
- Try your best to pass a truck on the left and not on the right. This is because the blind spots on the right are worse than on the left for truckers.
- Leave a large gap behind and in front of a truck so you avoid damages from loose cargo.
- If you are following a truck, make sure you can see the driver’s face in the side mirrors. This means they can see you too.
- Do not tailgate a truck. You are putting yourself and others at serious risk.
- Don’t slow down while passing a truck. This is dangerous to do. Instead, always accelerate to get out of the blind spots as fast as possible.
At Insurance Partners Group, we encourage you to always be attentive when driving near large trucks. Remaining focused and alert to your surroundings can help you avoid dangerous situations. If you feel you require more protection when behind the wheel, you should look into our top notch car insurance. Our agents would be more than happy to share ways that you may be able to save!