If you just purchased your first home, you may feel overwhelmed with the amount of work that needs to be done. However, if you have children, then their safety should become priority. Creating an atmosphere that is inviting and kid friendly can help prevent accidents and injuries in the place you now can call home.
Children have a tendency to get into everything, sometimes all at once. Being proactive when it comes to their safety can help prevent mishaps around your home and possible claims on your home insurance. Here are some tips to get started on creating a kid friendly place to live:
- Organize items into categories, such as valuables/breakables, and place them out of reach before children can get to them.
- Block off areas of your home that may be dangerous to children.
- Conduct safety checks every so often, looking for hazardous cleaners, medicines, or chemicals in cabinets, knives in reach, small choke-able items, and for things that are heavy, but easy to tip over.
- Make sure to open blinds all the way and put the cord out of reach of children.
- Put child safety latches at the top of all the cupboards and drawers so no one gets hurt.
- You can get corner protectors for all the sharp corners in the house.
- In the kitchen, install a stove guards to prevent any pots and pans from slipping off and scalding your children.
At Insurance Partners Group, we hope these tips help you make the right adjustments to your home. Eliminating the stress and worry of your children getting hurt may give you peace of mind as you continuing moving into your new environment. However, if you are concerned about risks in the future, invest in our home insurance now. This policy can be designed to protect your home from covered perils. So don’t hesitate, ask one of our friendly agents about your options.